Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook or Forum?
06-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Facebook or Forum?
It's been suggested to me by more than one person that we create a private ACRE group at Facebook to facilitate discussions within our community. Not to replace this Forum necessarily, but to provide a more real-time platform to chat.

I have mixed emotions about it - I definitely see the benefits, as well as a few disadvantages, not the least of which is FB's annoying habit of changing the game every other day and making us relearn the rules. I'm also concerned about losing great content within the archives of the FB system.

On the other hand... I'd rather LOSE great content than never create it at all, so if hanging out on FB would be an appropriate vehicle to generate lively discussions, I'm totally open to it.

Thoughts? Would YOU be more (or less) likely to participate in ACRE-related discussions if they were on the Facebook platform?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
RE: Facebook or Forum?
(06-28-2012 02:22 PM)Jennifer Allan Hagedorn Wrote:  It's been suggested to me by more than one person that we create a private ACRE group at Facebook to facilitate discussions within our community. Not to replace this Forum necessarily, but to provide a more real-time platform to chat.

I have mixed emotions about it - I definitely see the benefits, as well as a few disadvantages, not the least of which is FB's annoying habit of changing the game every other day and making us relearn the rules. I'm also concerned about losing great content within the archives of the FB system.

On the other hand... I'd rather LOSE great content than never create it at all, so if hanging out on FB would be an appropriate vehicle to generate lively discussions, I'm totally open to it.

Thoughts? Would YOU be more (or less) likely to participate in ACRE-related discussions if they were on the Facebook platform?
Find all posts by this user
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Short answer: I'd be less likely to take part in a FB forum.
Regards,
John Harry
06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
OK, I don't have a great answer to you question but I'll tell you this.

I am on Facebook everyday several times a day connecting with customers and updating my business page.

To reply to this post: I couldn't remember my password because its been so long since I logged in. I had to get an email to reset my password. I then had to figure out how to actually write this post.

Did I mention I'm on Facebook everyday several times a day making posts and pictures and video links?

Hope htis helps. :-)
06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Thumb Like RE: Facebook or Forum?
(06-28-2012 02:22 PM)Jennifer Allan Hagedorn Wrote:  Would YOU be more (or less) likely to participate in ACRE-related discussions if they were on the Facebook platform?

I would definitely be more likely to participate if we had a private group on facebook. I'm on there every day, (just keep a tab open in my browser) and the groups that I participate in are very easy to do a quick scan when new info appears. If the subject matter is interesting, I chime in, but if not, at least I maintain awareness of the conversations. Wink
06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I am ambivelant about it. Some of the other groups and forums I've joined on Facebook have gotten "hidden" because people posted on them so often they got annoying.
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Jennifer, I'll go along with whatever everyone wants. The problem I have with Facebook is trying to follow more than one thread at once. That's easier for me on a message board format. Is there a way to subscribe to the ENTIRE forum (or any of the entire subforums - not just individual threads) so that when ANY new post is made I get an email about it?
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Virginia - You can subscribe to each board which will notify you every time something is posted in that board; that shouldn't take long. Just go the Forum main page and then click on each Board (e.g. Real Estate General Discussion) and at the top you'll see a link to Subscribe to this Forum. Do that for all four board (if you want) and you'll get notices of new posts.

There's another step to take to make sure you get notices of all comments made - let me go figure that out.
06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I use Facebook for business, political postings & rarely for personal use. I would use a FB ACRE related discussion, since I use FB alot for business related posts. I blog so the simple post format is easy to use..... and shows up where you need to see the info... so yes, worth a try... if it becomes less popular one can change....Forums have categories which makes it well organized, but Social media is expanding... & is here to stay...

It is worth a try, & should be easy to set up...
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
yes yes