Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook or Forum?
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: Facebook or Forum?
I understand there are many who love FB, use it well and I applaud them...that however is not me. I have a personal FB account and go there occasionally to see how friends and family are doing, but that's it. I love that I receive emails from the ACRE forums I have signed up with that alert me when something new has been posted (like this request from you to chime in and let you know what we think). For me this is the best use of my time, FB distracts me and though I am connected to other business groups there as well they get lost in the never ending other "stuff". The forums help me stay focused :-)) Thank you for asking!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I think it's something we might want to try and see how it goes. Before I got involved in rescue work, I was bored to death with FB and considered deleting my profile all together, but once I had a bona-fide "use" for the platform, I'm definitely seeing the appeal.

And I've noticed that I'm always looking for the "Like" button when reading through the forum posts and comments!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2012, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 07:37 AM by Kevin OGrady.)
It cant hurt
06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes, count me in on FB. I too resisted a Facebook presence when I was the chief bottle washer feeling that it would compete with the internal forum (Exchange). But, I have changed my mind - I feel that for our discussions to really expand, they need to be on a platform that folks are familiar and comfortable with. Jennifer, as I mentioned to you, if the concern is to not lose the content, I'd be happy to assist in any way I can to preserve it in a different medium.

Mollie Wasserman
Founder: ACRE
Proud Member of the ACRE 2.0 Team Smile

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass…it’s about learning to dance in the rain." Vivian Greene
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I really prefer not FB however it is the most popular.
I actually prefer Google +, but not enought users yes.
When there is an important post to the FB page, we can ask that person to also post on the ACRE bulletin board as duplicate.
The ACRE bulletin board is great and preferred by me, but not enough participation.
I also like Google + hangouts for video chats which are automatically recorded to YouTube.
FB also has airtime.com for video chats
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Personally I'm fine either way. Smile
07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
All right - it sounds as if there might be enough support to give it a try! I am very much enjoying my participation in the private animal rescue FB group I belong to and we do generate some great discussions... and there's a real sense of community.

I'll set it up over this holiday week(end) and release it next week (or sooner).

Any thoughts as to whether it should be ACRE-only or open by invitation to people interested in consulting? I could go either way...
07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
I would love this and would use a FB forum for discussion
07-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Okay, I have created the ACRE group on Facebook! Now, let me disclose that while I participate in a few FB groups, this is my first whack at administering one, so bear with me as I learn the ropes.

Here is a link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/463250583692802/. I have it set up (I believe!) so that new members must be approved by me, so go ahead and try to join and let's see what happens ;-]

Question - should we make the group open ONLY to those with the ACRE designation, or welcome others who are interested in becoming an ACRE? I'm inclined toward the latter - if we have things we want to chat about that need to be kept more private we can do that here in the ACRE-only section of the Forum.

So... it's Sunday on a holiday weekend... and it's brutally hot outside... so let's convene over at Facebook and let the fun begin!

If you try to join and don't hear right back from me, let me know here ... again... I'm not 100% sure how it all works ;-]